2009-08-02 Summer Raspberries

 My summer raspberries have given us their meagre harvest (It’s their first year! We were late getting them in! and other useless excuses…), but all is not lost. Even though it may not have fruited much the three plants have started sending up plenty of new canes for next year’s fruit, so after a brutal pruning I worked on a small structure to help give them support over the turbulent winter months.

It’s not perfect and it’s nowhere near as high as most people’s that I tend to see illustrated, but don’t worry, I have my excuses lined up and ready to go!

  1. I didn’t have much wood longer than 4ft
  2. I wouldn’t have been able to drive it down far enough to support anything longer
  3. I wouldn’t have been able to reach the top of the posts…

*cough*. Anyway.

I just used two sturdy branches from our old fir hedge, trimmed one end down to make a suitable stake, and drove them into the soil as far as I could with a sledge. Then I wove some thick twine from one end of the bed to the other, tucking the canes in as I went. It seems to be working quite well. They wouldn’t survive a hurricane but most mild storms should be weatherable. As for the height, well as long as their bases are supported I’m happy for now. I can always make it taller next year!

Advertisements